What are my options after becoming a specialist orthodontist?

There are a number of options available for specialist orthodontists.

  • Work as a specialist in orthodontic practice. You may eventually run your own business.
  • Train for a further 2 years in a hospital to gain the Fellowship of Dental Surgery in Orthodontics (FDS(Orth)) and become a hospital orthodontic consultant. This is also the opportunity to become a cleft orthodontic consultant who specializes in treating patients with facial disfigurement.
  • Train for a further 4 years in a hospital / university. During this time, study for a PhD degree in order to work in the university.
  • Work as a specialist in the Community Dental Service.

All dentists or orthodontists need to keep up to date by studying and attending courses for as long as they are working.