Who can carry out orthodontic treatment?

Any dentist can carry out orthodontics. The General Dental Council (GDC) regulate dentists and it states that any dentist can work in any area of dentistry, as long as they feel competent (able) to do so. However, orthodontics is a very specific area of expertise and only those registered on the orthodontic specialist list with the GDC can call themselves a specialist orthodontist.

Related Links


Find treatment

Use the BOS online search to find a member near you

General Dental Council

Visit the GDC website to view the register of all dentists, specialists and orthodontic therapists working in the UK