Harold Chapman (1881 – 1965)
Born in Liverpool, Harold Chapman undertook an indenture with a local dentist before qualifying with a LDS from Liverpool School of Dental Surgery in 1903. After graduation he spent several months in private practice before travelling to America to study for his DDS at the University of Pennsylvania. He also attended Angle’s course in 1905.
On his return to London he worked with George Northcroft before establishing his own Harley Street practice. In 1921 he limited his practice exclusively to orthodontics, becoming the first practitioner in Britain to do so. Chapman continued working in his practice until his retirement in 1952.
Chapman held a short appointment at Guy’s before taking on the role of Honorary Dental Surgeon at the London Hospital Dental School. In 1923 he was appointed as Lecturer of Orthodontics. In 1947 the Royal College of Surgeons awarded Chapman the FDS, this was followed by a D.Orth in 1954.
Chapman was a keen member of many orthodontic and dental societies. He was a founding member of the BSSO, holding the posts of Secretary (1910-1925), President (1925 and 1952) and Honorary Treasurer (1942-1952). He was a member of many international orthodontic societies.
Chapman was a prolific writer, publishing more than 80 articles and contributing to orthodontic textbooks.