The Research Directorate will lead, on behalf of the British Orthodontic Society (BOS), the support of high quality orthodontic scholarship and research. The Society’s research emphasis at the present time is that of evidence based orthodontic care and the health benefits of treatment.
The specific roles of the Research Directorate are to:
- Develop and implement the BOS research strategy, including initiatives at a national and/or international level to coordinate orthodontic research;
- Supervise and administer all research grants, fellowships, scholarships, prizes and awards offered by the Society;
- Oversee the optimal use of BOS financial research resources;
- Undertake initiatives which raise funds to support such grants and awards, primarily through the British Orthodontic Society Foundation;
- To develop and seek collaborative funding from outside bodies, including the Royal Colleges and Industry.
Director for Research
Professor Susan Cunningham
Susan Cunningham graduated with Honours from Leeds in 1988. Her orthodontic training was undertaken at the Eastman Dental Institute, gaining an MSc in 1994 and Membership in Orthodontics in 1995. She gained her PhD in 2000 and is now Professor of Orthodontics/Honorary Consultant at the UCL Eastman Dental Institute. She is also Programme Director of the MClinDent programme at UCL Eastman Dental Institute. Her main research interests are in the psychology of dentofacial deformity and the outcomes of orthodontic and orthognathic treatment. She has published more than 85 original papers and contributed to several specialist textbooks. She has involvement in local, national and international committees. She is currently Chair of the SAC in Orthodontics; a member of the Advisory Board for Specialty Training in Dentistry; a member of the Representative Body of the British Orthodontic Society; honorary secretary and a member of Council of the European Orthodontic Society.
PhD; BChD; FDSRCS; MSc; MOrthRCS; FHEA